Developing Food Safety Policies and Procedures
Learn how to build effective food safety SOPs for your operation.
A significant part of a well-developed and documented food safety management system (FSMS) involves the creation of detailed written food safety policies for employees. The Food Safety & Industry relations team has created these templates and examples to help you get started and/or refine your operation’s SOPs. There are five documents that you can download:
- Creating SOPs Template—describes each section of an effective policy and why it should be included
- GAP Analysis of Policies and Procedures—a list of key policies your FSMS should include, along with a checklist of policy components
- Sample Cooking Food Policy—Example of a policy for cooking food, using the steps outlined in the Creating SOPs Template
- Sample Temperature Log—Sample cooking and reheating temperature log
- Daily Inspection Sheet—Template for recording daily inspection of key areas including temperatures, employee hygiene, handwashing stations, and equipment, cleaning, and maintenance.